Monday, January 28, 2013

Shameless Promotion Time

There are few things here that I have to keep me entertained. Television which I took for granted back home is non existent. With bandwidth as limited as it is, I can only really invest in one TV show, and I've picked a great one.

The show I picked is the CW's Arrow, which airs on CTV in Canada (which is the version my torrents are from). Arrow is an adaptation of DC's Green Arrow comic series, and I never really followed Green Arrow before but I was curious. I always believed that the Green Arrow was just a clone of Batman with a Robin Hood motif, and it turns out he is! But you know what, I'm OK with that because the way he relates to other people is different from the ice king Bruce Wayne.


Oliver Queen, played by Stephen Amell is charismatic and energetic hero. In CW's earlier superhero series Smallville, Clark Kent didn't go looking for trouble, it merely found him. Oliver on the other hand is a man on a mission, and each episode revolves around him hunting down bad guys who are ruining Starling City. You can really tell that Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy has had a strong influence on the show, and I'm very glad that it did.

Another high point for the show is that real comic book villains appear in this show. When Smallville was first out, most of the characters Clark fought were created for the sake of the show. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's great to fan favourites like Deadshot, Slade Wilson, and the Royal Flush Gang in the first season. A real highlight is John Barrowman as Malcolm Merlyn, a recurring antagonist who steals every seen.

I think this show has great potential, and I can't wait to see it develop further. Now how about that Wonder Woman series CW?

No comments:

Post a Comment