Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Pearls

So I hear that one of the most popular attractions in Panama are the Pearl Islands. So against my better judgement, we bought passage to the Island on Contadora and set out.

We woke up at 5:30 in the morning, and made our way to the pier for 7:00. At exactly 7:00 (I checked), a guy brought out a table and slowly began the check in process for the journey. (I think the staff came at the same time as us...) After an hour of this, we boarded the catamaran and sailed for Contadora.

Along the way we were joined by an old woman from Oregon at our table who now lives on the island. To be honest, I felt like she talked too much for me, but overall she was very pleasant. She told us quite a bit about the place, and her life on the island.


When we arrived, it turned out that the island has no dock, and we had to transfer to smaller boats similar to the launchas we use in the Rio. It was no big deal for me since I'm now used to boats, however I can imagine it would be very difficult for the elderly or physically handicapped.



 Soon after landing on the beach like the soldier in Normandy, we made our way up the hill and rented the toughest and meanest vehicle man can buy. A 4 man golf cart.

 We toured the island in our cart, and I had to admit that there were some really nice houses. Some of the people there have great taste, no question. However there was also a lot of houses that seemed abandoned with most of their windows broken. Lots of other properties were also being sold, so I wonder if the economy has taken its toll on Panama?

 The water has that wonderful blue colour.

 So clear...

 Some abandoned ships



 I saw a giant lizard in here.

 As the day winded down, we went to a fancy looking restaurant and had lunch. The food was priced ok, but the quality was lacking. This was the type of food that gets all its flavour from condiments. Meh.

 They did have a nice chess set however...

With the day finished we returned to the catamaran and came home. The Pearls are ok, however I have no real desire to go back. If you like tourist traps go there, but otherwise stay away.

2 comments:

  1. That's really beautiful, Michael. I love the clear water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is my dream place to go and live,

    ReplyDelete