Friday, May 25, 2012

What you leave behind...

Perhaps the biggest part of this journey, is not traveling for hours between unknown places, but actually making the first step. As I write this in Lethbridge, I ask myself if what I'm doing is actually the right thing to do, or am I just running away from becoming an adult?

Part of this journey is not just an adventure, but also a means for me to help my dad run his business out of Panama. Is this really something that will give me good work experience? Is making this business profitable even possible? Will my family actually commit to it's success? Perhaps I would be better off remaining in Fort McMurray and having a normal job and live in a normal apartment?

Both options have pros and cons, and I'm running out of time to decide which one is best for me.
  1. By going to Panama, naturally I will have new experiences that I would never get by staying in Canada. On the other hand, staying in Canada will give me security and routine, allowing me to have greater control over my life.
  2. By going to Panama, I will still be with my blood family and won't have to worry about the cost of living. But my being in Fort McMurray, I will have my other family, my friends who I have shared almost half of my life with.
Perhaps it's normal for people to feel hesitant about going on such large trips, knowing that they really don't know what to expect. As my time in Lethbridge raps up, I think about whether or not I should continue traveling, or just go back home.

From the road,

Michael J. P. Ingram

2 comments:

  1. LIVIN' ON THE EDGE!
    (You can't escape my singing, even when you are travelling to far away places)

    I have added your blog to my favorites bar.
    -S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you and the others need to record podcasts so that I literally can't escape the singing.

      Delete