Monday, August 20, 2012

Chimichanga

Who here has ever had a chimichanga? I honestly don't remember ever having one before, as I was mostly a person who only ate tacos and burritos, always staying away from the "other" types of Mexican/Southwestern food. I only tried a quesadilla a couple years ago, and it was quite alright, but nothing that really wowed me. A week or so ago, I had an enchillada from Vista Rio, and while it was quite good, again it wasn't anything special.

Today, I returned to the Vista Rio, and they're daily special was the chimichanga. As I said before, I can't remember ever having one before, at least not of the frozen variety, so I was hesitant about having one. The owner explained to us that it was a traditional Texas styled meal, so I gave in easily.



Frankly I'm glad that I did, it was probably the best thing that I've had from Vista Rio yet. incidentally, it's probably also the unhealthiest thing, but who's keeping track?

Image a burrito stuffed with ground beef till it's ready to burst at the seams. Now take that burrito and deep fry it, giving it a nice crispy texture. Now cover that burrito with diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, and nice cheese, now you have a chimichanga. Actually, you don't have to imagine at all because here are some pics of one we left for tomorrow.



I understand that the pictures don't look too appealing, but trust me, it's great. Incidentally, the rice at the top is the best rice and beans I've ever had. One problem with the meal, is that you get it "Guatemalan size" if you know what I mean. Texas food should be big and obnoxious, this isn't quite there yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment