Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Mystery Fruit

Every night, it seems like the internet quits before I get around to doing the blog. Therefore, I intend to start updating it everyday between late morning and early afternoon to avoid such issues.

Now continuing from the other day, it is time to identify that mysterious fruit that I posted about. This fruit is like a combination of many other fruits, it's rather surreal. The outside is spiked like a pineapple, when you cut it open, it looks and smells almost like an apple, but when you eat, it tastes almost like a potato.

With having so many so many qualities, the only thing it can possible be is the elusive Breadfruit. I never heard of breadfruit before coming here, at least I think I never have. None of the less, I am glad to have learned of it's existence. This fruit is like the Swiss-army knife of fruits, you can cook it any way imaginable, and it's good.

The Belgian lady who introduced me to breadfruit explained that it can be used for all sorts of things. When deep fried, it makes a good substitute for french fries, with sugar sprinkled on top, it becomes a great dessert. The bar tender added that diced up, it makes a perfect hash brown for morning.

Convinced, I had to get some, but it turns out that people usually don't sell them here. No fear though, an associate of my dad rents a place with a breadfruit tree. He met my dad at the nearby castle, and delivered two just for us. That night we had breadfruit fries, and they were good. Don't make too many though, they will fill you up post haste.

2 comments:

  1. intriguing. I love trying new foods.I looked up a picture of breadfruit; it sort of looks like an oversized lychee.

    ReplyDelete