Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Best Money can Buy

Before I began writing this blog, people told me that I should write about all the great food that I've had, and will have on this journey. I agreed that this was a good idea, but as you can all tell, I've failed to deliver on that front, and for that I apologize. Rather than embarking on new culinary adventures, I've bored you all with my mundane days. Tonight however will be different, tonight will be dedicated exclusively to a new food item.

A few weeks ago, I had Chinese food from a restaurant in Ottawa known as Ruby. The food was easily the best Chinese I ever had, and today I was in the area, so I decided to go in for another round. Yet this time it was different, I wasn't interested in having a full meal, but I was instead interested in only buying one appetizer. And that appetizer, was their deep fried egg rolls.

Now I love Chinese food, but I never liked egg rolls back in Alberta. Most egg rolls you got at the local Chinese restaurants seemed like something they just pulled out of the freezer. If I wanted that, I would have driven to Safeway and made them myself.

Yet the egg rolls at Ruby are to die for. Imagine a cylinder of dough, filled with well cooked pork or beef, cabbage, onion, and deep fried to perfection. The flavors blend themselves perfectly into something new and familiar. This is the way that I want all my egg rolls from now on.

 Nice burned ends. Not accidentally burned, they're like that be design.

 The inside is nice and moist.

Some egg roll sauce poured on top. 

4 comments:

  1. Strongly suggest you to go to Cheng Du someday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting is it as greasy as it appears in the last picture when you bite into it or is that dipping sauce?

    ReplyDelete