Thursday, July 19, 2012

Guatemala

After a long two months, I have finally arrived in Guatemala, the last stop before carrying on to Panama. Panama may aswell be considered a different trip, because I have no idea how long it will be before the boat goes there, let alone stays there permanently. So as of now Rio Dulce, Guatemala is my new home.

I was happy to be done traveling. No more hunting for hotels which take dogs (almost none do in Mexico). No more inspections for weapon or drug smuggling. And no more having to deal with customs and immigration. Yet my happiness was short lived, as a new problem reared it's very ugly head.

Bugs. Arachnids. Pests.

During the 15 months of dormancy, the yacht has been invaded by an army of pests, the worst of all being cockroaches. These guys are near impossible to kill, and keep coming back for more. I've set up a couple basic homemade traps to see if I can lure some, but I know it'll take more than that. This will be a long and hard battle.

The other main threat are spiders. Yesterday, we found one large spider sitting on our living room wall. This isn't your Fort McMurray sized spider, these are the real deal jungle arachnids. My dad tried to kill it, but we didn't find a body, so I'm assuming that it's still here and in hiding. The boat captain says that the spiders here aren't a danger to humans and only eat insects, I hope he's right...

Keep me in your thoughts as I go through this ordeal. The rainy season is in full swing, and it's been storming every single day. I really am concerned by this, and I hope I can make it without getting sick or bitten.

Your friend,



Michael J.P. Ingram

7 comments:

  1. This is an interesting trip, we like something special ; one time I saw a yellow spider in the backyard.
    When i was a kid, the school organized students to go to farm to work very often. During the summer time, the weather was so hot and the sunshine was so strong, we had to kept working before sunset. That was OK for me.
    I can not believe what i did at that time, one day our teachers took us to the vegetable field and let us took all the caterpillars away from the leaves. I used almost one hour finished one day's work because i used my fingers directly to catch the caterpillars. Lots of girls looked at me surprisingly.
    I found a church along 111 street, i will pray for you; you willl not get sick or bitten.
    Take it easy.
    Continue to enjoy your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good story Lucy. I like hearing about your own life.

      Delete
  2. Take pictures of the bugs!

    -Joel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could die from infection, and you want pictures?

      I'll see what I can do...

      Delete
  3. Keep away from dangerous. You do not need to take risk that is not worth while.
    Never take pictures there.
    Think about your parents and family need you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I'm not brave or foolish enough to take close ups of anything that I think would pose a danger to me. There are real photographers who get paid for that.

      Delete
  4. You won't die from an infection if you take a pic of a cockroach or a spider. And don't worry so much. You're safe there. You wouldn't be sleeping on the boat if there were dangerous things on there. But do post some pics of the dogs in their basket, I would love to see this form of transportation for them lol

    ReplyDelete