Sunday, July 1, 2012

Canada Day

Ah Canada Day, the one day which makes us proud to be Canadian as Independence Day brings out the jingoism of our neighbors to the south. I know in Alberta, Canada Day is less meaningful, and more about the booze and time off, but over here in Ontario, you can't help but feel an immense sense of pride in the people. As I drove down Bronson Street, a main artery in Ottawa, I saw hoards of people dressed in red and white marching in joy towards the festive glow of Parliament Hill. Seeing this display made me feel prouder to be Canadian, and a little ashamed for not taking part in the festivities.

When I think of this vast land, I can't help but think of all kinds of wonderful things. The Rocky Mountains, the plains of southern Alberta, the Great Lakes, and Ottawa Valley. I think of the history of this land and it's great people such as Sir John A. Macdonald, George Brown, Sir Isaac Brock, Terry Fox, Rick Hansen, Julie Payette, and Frederick Banting. I know that many of you scoff whenever I talk about history, but I hope that for at least this week, you'll take some time and read about some of these people on Wikipedia. The last thing I think about, is all the Canadians whom I call my friend. Whether you were born in New Brunswick or Alberta, came overseas from China or Pakistan, you are Canadian, and you should feel a sense of joy and pride on this great day.

What I want to know now, is how do you guys feel about Canada Day? Am I feeling more patriotic for being in the capital, or did we always feel this way, but in a less pronounced form. What thoughts and images are going in your heads as we celebrate 145 years of sovereignty, what Canadians do you remember above all others?

Lastly, I want to wish you all a happy Canada Day! No matter what you do, have fun and stay safe.

Your friend,


Michael J.P. Ingram III

1 comment:

  1. Yes. I am so lucky come to this great country full of peace and freedom. I love everything in Alberta. The first time, when I heard about how Canada became an independent country, tears rolling down from my face.

    ReplyDelete