Thursday, July 12, 2012

Texas Food Pt.2

Continuing from yesterday, here are some more meals I had while in Texas.

Tired of having burgers and other meats, we decided to have fish for dinner. This time, the place would be the American fish giant, Long John Silver's. Suffice to say, this was the worst meal I've had this entire trip, and perhaps this entire year. The food is complete garbage, and I will never go to another Long John Silver's again.

Now about the food itself. First off, there were these tiny shrimps in batter. Now these were the smallest shrimps I ever had, it was 20% shrimp, and 80% batter, and the batter was bland and unpleasant. Next came the main fillet. This was a flat piece of "mystery fish", surrounded by a thick layer of fried batter just like the shrimp. Totally disappointing, and this was meant to be the flagship of the platter. Also included were some fries and coleslaw, nothing terrible, but simply average.

The only good part of the meal was a single battered chicken breast. It's exactly as it sounds, no gimmicks or anything, and it was actually made competently. It's sad when a fish place has chicken as the best thing on their menu. Simply inexcusable.

Prior to having LJS, we stopped at the Texas hamburger chain Whataburger while doing some running around. Whataburger is kind of a seventies styled burger joint, their logo even makes me think of the seventies era Wonder Woman, so I was intrigued when I saw it.

The meal consisted of a cheese burger and fries. The fries were the shoestring variety, and were fairly average, but I liked them, and I hate shoestring fries. Surprisingly, the ketchup served with it was delicious! It had a very bold flavour, and was unlike any other ketchup I've had.

The burger was very homemade, it didn't feel factory made like McDonald's or Wendy's, and I love that. I think without question, this is easily among the best burgers I've had this entire trip, and I've had a lot of burgers.





Tomorrow we head into Mexico. I don't know what the internet situation will be, so you might not hear from me for some time. No matter what happens though, it's bound to be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment