Thursday, June 21, 2012

Civility

By now you've all probably seen that notorious video about the School Bus Monitor who was bullied by the students she volunteered to supervise. Of course bullying in all its forms against all people in itself is wrong, but it is rare to see kids like this assaulting an adult and an authority figure.

What the hell is wrong with these kids? How could they do this, and how could they be so stupid as to film the entire thing? I know they say that kids can be cruel, and we all know that it's the truth. But why do we keep seeing these things and being shocked? Is it some desire to think that we're better than that? Are we simply ignorant?



Do we deserve to feel like we should be better? I dare each and everyone of you to think back and remember the times that you bullied other people. Don't tell me that you never did, I'm not stupid and know better than that. I admit that I have bullied people, even if I think I wasn't at the time. Naturally, that behavior fills me shame and regret, and I hope you feel the same for your actions.

I won't go on a tirade about how these kids are horrible and their parents are responsible. It's a meaningless cliche that's said for people to feel better about their own cruelty. Be angry at these kids and all the other bullies for their actions, but remember that we all share the same shameful history.

3 comments:

  1. Where is this incident happened?

    I am satisfied with Canadian education I mean daycare and school. I met lots of kids here; they are very polite to adults.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happened in Greece, New York.

      The thing about bullying, is that a lot of it is subtle and hidden. Believe me, it does happen here in Canada just as it does in the US.

      Delete
    2. I looked through the news this morning, this world is getting crazy. Take care of yourself.

      Delete