Sunday, June 17, 2012

Family

Today is Father's Day, and my own dad is far away in Panama City. Despite that, there have been plenty of Father's Day activities going on around the house here. My aunt and uncle have two adult daughters, one who now has her own family, and they were all here today bringing new life to my grandparents old house.

The older cousin has been married for about 2 years, and they brought their eighteen month old daughter with them. It's amazing the way young children can completely get to you, even if you have no history with them. Seeing that little girl interacting with the world around her, being mesmerized by fish, terrified at the sound of the hounds barking, and then sitting with the same dogs. It makes me feel good to see the next generation.



Being here in Ontario gives me something that is similar but different to Alberta. In Alberta, I'm isolated from my extended family, so I looked at my friends as a surrogate family of sorts. Out here, I see the people related to me by blood, and I feel a different kind of closeness. Both families are very important to me, and by being here, I think I can get a greater appreciation to the bonds I have through blood and familiarity. Relationships are important, and I thank you for all the time we had together, and the times that are still ahead.

Your friend now and forever,

Michael J.P. Ingram

No comments:

Post a Comment