Friday, June 29, 2012

Iroquois Falls

So, after two days, I'm now in a hotel with Wi-Fi. Since the gap between updates was so short, I'll just save some trouble and summarize the last three days.

We left New Liskeard around 10:30 on Wednesday morning, driving for about two hours. The road is very annoying, for the first 40km after New Liskeard, there are ample passing lanes, but after that, there was perhaps three over the next 200km! Just my luck, as we got passed the last passing lane, an oversized load appeared ahead of me (the smallest oversized load I've ever seen), and I was stuck behind it for half an hour. No matter, eventually the town appeared and we broke our long journey was over.  


Now, I haven't been to Iroquois Falls since 2000, so I didn't remember the town all that well, but I did remember thinking that the place was a joke. Fast forward twelve years, and I find myself actually kind of liking the place. The town itself has actually grown slightly since I was last here. The economy is still slowing down here, but Iroquois Falls is finding new life as retirement community. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to live here, but the thought of it isn't nearly as bad as it was once before.



 My aunt and uncles business.



Scenery from a one lane bridge.

We took the keys for my aunts cottage, and we drove out for half an hour on an old gravel road. I remembered my aunts cottage being a rather nice place, remote, but nice. How mistaken I was...

This cottage is rustic, if that's your thing, you'll love the place, but if you like having working lights and simple comfort, stay far away. I hate the rustic feel, I know it's a very Canadian thing, but I just can't stand it. For the next 48 hours, I stayed there passing the time by sleeping or watching Toronto CBC.



 My bed for the last two days.

 They restocked the fridge, but I swear everything was going bad...
My aunts dog Mimi.

Right now, I'm at a hotel in town, and I can say that I'm perfectly happy to be here. 

1 comment: