Friday, June 22, 2012

Seinfeld

Once again, today started as any other day in Ottawa. I woke up, had all the dogs swarm me like a piece of meat, and realized it was later than I thought it was. I ate, got washed, and headed down to Billings Bridge to get some things. I haven't shaved since I lived in Fort McMurray, so I figured it was time to lose the hobo beard.

After doing all that, I figured I would end the day watching some TV, an activity I'm all too used to doing. Yet today was going to be different. I was getting ready to watch the final showing of CBC's Connect with Mark Kelly, when I suddenly had a question thrown upon me. Did I want to go see Jerry Seinfeld on stage?



Confession time. I never really watched Seinfeld when it was on TV. I've watched perhaps five episodes from start to finish in my entire life. It wasn't that it was a bad show, quite the contrary, the show just never clicked with me. I considered the request, and I figured that since he never clicked with me, I might as well just stay home. As the time for the show came closer, I decided that I could watch TV any other time, so I got dressed and went to the show with my aunt.

Boy am I glad I went. I haven't seen many live shows, nor stand up comics for that matter. I know that Keyano College has a constant steam of performances coming every month, but I've probably watched no more than five shows at Keyano. Yes, I have been to Broadway and seen a couple shows, but that's virtually it.

There is something about a live performance that is so different from watching TV or going to the theater. Perhaps it's the connection between the performer, the audience, and yourself. Being there feels like you are a part of something bigger than yourself, if you have the chance, you should go out and see a live show.

Now about the show itself. The show opened up with another experienced comedian, I don't remember his name, but he's written for Letterman, Leno, and all the big late night shows. His act was pretty good, the jokes were a little immature and cliche at times, but he did a good job warming up the Audience for Seinfeld.

After about half an hour of that guy, Seinfeld came out and just wowed the audience. You could just feel the charisma and respect he has for his audience. His comedic timing was spot on, and his whole act about revealing the absurdity of normal activities just works perfectly. After the show ended, Seinfeld was given a huge standing ovation, and he returned for about five minutes to talk with the audience.

Seeing Seinfeld was a blast. I don't do very many interesting things, so opportunities like these don't come often. Perhaps I should do some more things outside of the norm. Could be interesting...

Nah, I'd rather watch TV reruns instead.

1 comment:

  1. It has been two years i did not watch TV.
    You are really a talented writer. All your stories are very interesting, and I learned lots of new words from you because sometimes I need to check the dictionary.

    ReplyDelete